Modern performing arts is increasingly reliant on stage equipment. While technology has enabled artists to create novel performances, the use of technology often comes with the downside of putting more distance between audience and artists. Technological artifacts can act as an obstacle for interaction and audience participation. This thesis aims towards finding new ways to use technology in live performances that allow the audience to take an active role in a performance and to use game mechanics to foster audience participation. The design, development and evaluation of a prototype for technology mediated audience participation in concerts is the centerpiece of this thesis. During the design of the prototype we gathered data about the context by interviewing experts, hosting a workshop and building a cooperation with musicians. ^The prototype development followed an iterative approach where the state of development was regularly reviewed together with the cooperating musicians. To evaluate the prototype we conducted a field test in which we gathered data from different angles. Our methods consisted of questionnaires for the audience, interviews with the musicians, video analysis on the movement of the audience during the field test and analysis of the logfiles of our software. By analysing the gathered material we could identify parameters for successful audience participation from the musicians perspective. Among these are a steady arc of suspense with room for improvisation and a reliable setup that allow the musicians to concentrate on their performance without worrying about the technology. Moreover, we were able to develop a guideline for designing the audiences influence on a performance. ^For the audiences perspective we learned that successful interaction should be designed in a simple and easy to grasp way. Furthermore, we found that it is crucial not to overwhealm musicians and audience with complex interaction. By providing a detailed overview on each phase of the process, including a analysis of the software and hardware tools we used, we were able to depict potential pitfalls both on the conceptual and technical level. We conclude that our prototype did partially fulfill the requirements for successful audience participation. The interaction between audience and musicians did not happen as anticipated, mainly because the interaction concept was not intuitive enought. However, we learned that the musicians valued the unique and experimental character of the setup. From our data we further learned that the audience was slightly overwhealmed by the performance, but keen to explore the unique setup.