Purpose of the thesis is the design of a Jewish community center in the second district of Vienna. In addition to the synagogue and Mikveh, the building contains an archive, a library, as well as event and exhibition areas. The front house with its historical oratory will be refurbished and integrated into the new complex. The temple situated in the back building was destroyed during the anti-Jewish pogroms in 1938. The design refers to the historical context and is based on the rites and orders of the Jewish liturgy. The terms „temple“ and „synagogue“ have been described since ancient times up to the present day. Exemplary buildings from the Middle Ages to the present day illustrate differences in the construction of synagogues in the Orthodox, Conservative and Reformed Judaism.